Sunday, January 13, 2013

The King of Design - Indian Design

Indian design first captured my attention when I was a 5 year old girl living in East Africa. We had gone for dinner with a colleague of my Father's, who was Indian and his three beautiful daughters. I was mesmerised by these beautiful girls but even more so by their exotic clothing and jewellery, to me they were like Princesses and all little girls love a princess. One of the daughters took a shine to me and gave me one of her rings, which was an Indian design, gold and just simply beautiful, I still remember how excited and grateful I was!

Since then my passion for all Indian design has escalated, I love their textile, furniture and especially their jewellery design, it just reels me in and always manages to give me something new. I was lucky enough to spend 4 months there in 2007. During this time I devoured the markets in Delhi, Mumbai and of course Goa, however, I did not have very much money, so was unable to feed my desire. I did however manage to buy a few bits and pieces to add to my ever expanding collection of Indian inspired jewellery, which has been added to since.

A mixture of Indian jewellery, that I have picked up from India and other parts of the world.


These pieces demonstrate the exquisite design and intricacy that makes Indian design and Indian jewellery so very special.


My treasured ankle bracelet and charm bracelet, I love them xx





This ring is so simple and yet so pretty and special. This necklace was bought in Ipswich, Suffolk of all places but the design certainly reminds me of Indian design and I adore it!




1 comment:

  1. I agree India jewellery or Indian inspired pieces do have a certain something about them. There tends to be lots of fine detail and embellishments to even the simplest piece.
    I Think this is because most pieces are fairly traditional working from and expanding on designs that have been around for hundreds of years. There are so many great inspirations from mythology and nature in India to draw upon.
    Also the pairing of very soft gold colours and red stones works fantastically.

    ReplyDelete