Thursday, December 20, 2012

Treasure Hunting in Sharjah Blue Souk

I have lived in the UAE for the last four years and have hunted out all the fabulous souks and markets that I can find, however, I had not yet been to the famous Blue Souk in Sharjah.

My very good friend, who has lived here for almost 17 years, kept telling me off for visiting the UAE's many souks but not visiting the Blue Souk, so yesterday she and her husband drove me there in search of wonderful hidden gems.

I was not disappointed, the beautiful Iranian inspired souk with its little passageways and shops over bridges was a treasure chest of amazing one off little bejeweled pill boxes, bangles, gold shops with my favorite Indian designs and treasures from Afghanistan, Oman and Northern India. It was my heaven and I could have spent hours going through each shop and finding the perfect little bargains.

Here are some of my pictures and they are just a few of them....

This was one of the many gold shops in the main park of the souk. The Indian jewellery is exquisite and amazes me every time.

I fell in love with this gold and turquoise cuff bangle!


These Afghan cuffs were in a little shop over one of the bridges and were the main treasure in an otherwise unexciting shop. They aren't real silver but the stones are lapis lazuli, turquoise and garnet. They are beautiful and the design on the metal is just so gorgeous!


I found these pretty little north Indian pill boxes in a funny little shop stuffed with little treasures!


This box of goodies was in another little side shop, which had silver cutlery and all sorts of odds and ends that I would love to deck my home out in.


This is a cushion cover with real gold and gem stones embroidered in, how stunning!


These rings were very pretty and cute x


Imagine row after row of shop windows just like this but each piece is individual and has its very own wonderfully beautiful design.


I would absolutely LOVE one of these engraved cuffs - oh I am in love xx


Not sure how real the turquoise was in this belt but thought it would look good with jeans in the UK.


More beads and precious little rocks hidden away in a funny little shop.


Omani daggers, once lovingly kept in their beautiful cases.


Malachite and lapis lazuli animal figures, these remind me of ones I saw in Africa - very sweet!


Bangles, bangles and more bangles - oh how I love gold bangles!


Beautiful beaded belts from Afghanistan and north India.


Look at the gold bracelet with the cluster of coral on it, I really loved this one. It seemed so European and out of place. I think it is so pretty and elegant.


Imagine wearing this on your wedding day! Look at the intricate design - wow!


Pretty gem watches, that's my kind of watch.


Which ring would you wear?



I would love one of these sets. I would feel so special in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment